Saturday, April 28, 2012

ANZAC Day - April 25th

To commemorate ANZAC Day I decided to make a batch of Anzac biscuits (cookies) to share with friends and family.They were quite tasty if I may say so myself.

Here's a little history on the Anzac "bickie":
An Anzac biscuit is a sweet biscuit popular in Australia and New Zealand, made using rolled oats, flour, desiccated coconut, sugar, butter, golden syrup, baking soda and boiling water. Anzac biscuits have long been associated with the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) established in World War I.
It has been claimed the biscuits were sent by wives to soldiers abroad because the ingredients do not spoil easily and the biscuits kept well during naval transportation.

I extended my ANZAC Day holiday to span across 5 days. A nice long weekend - fabulous. We dropped Bindi off at "Granny Cheryl's" (MIL) for a week then headed to Sydney for the Camping and Caravan Show. We also slipped in a quick trip to Costco before we left the city. Gee, it's wonderful they are here in Oz now and I can buy large paper towels and Monterey Jack cheese again. It's funny how many of the little things you miss about home.

The next day (Friday) was spent getting ideas and quotes for our kitchen, laundry and guest bath remodel. Hopefully my jaw doesn't break from hitting the ground too hard when the cost estimates come back. We could be in for a big shock. Priority is for the guest bath to be complete first because it's been gutted for over a year now...it's time!

Shower and tub area
Vanity area

The rest of the weekend my was spent re-organizing my pantry - a monumental task to say the least. It's amazing how much can accumulate overtime and how much crap you have hiding in the back of the shelves. I do think we'd could feed the entire neighborhood for 6-months if all the grocery stores when on strike tomorrow.

This morning (Sunday) the wet fog settled on potted California Redwoods we have in our backyard - beautiful. I can't help but smell them every time I walk by just so I can transport my senses back to the wooded forests of Yosemite..ahhhh! I truly miss that incredible smell that seems to completely envelope your mind and spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment