Monday, April 12, 2010

Riverwood Downs

We made a quick overnight camping trip with the Lewis Clan over the weekend as a reconnoissance mission ("reccy") to the Riverwood Downs Resort at the base of the Barrington Tops National Park. Recent rains have made the scenery come alive as the hillsides transformed into a beautiful rolling carpet of green. The mild temperatures were also a welcomed change as Fall finally starts to set in. Yipee! Out drive to our destination was absolutely picture perfect!

Resort guests can either stay in the 4-star accommodations (questionable) on-site or camp along the river. Regardless of your sleeping arrangements, the area has much to offer. Adam, Nick & Maddi did the white-water adventure and went caneoing. There was also hiking, biking, horseback riding, tennis, ping pong, platapus viewing, fishing and much, much more. Reminds me of what a "dude ranch" might be like.


Nick and Maddi oversee camp set-up operations.


Campsite is ready so it's time to feed the hungry troops!

Maddi and Ness take a break and do a little reading in the sunshine.
Next on the 'to do' list for Adam was to get straight into the preparation of his campoven beef stew called "Boondooma Beef".
As I continue to learn more about "outback" cooking with a camp (dutch) oven I decided to try my hand at making an apple cobbler. Instead of cooking over the coals of a campfire this time we used "Heat Beads" (charcoal briquettes). I can clearly see there is an art to this style of cooking and I have a long way to go but the fruits (apple in this case) of my labor seem to have been a success on this attempt!

Adam and I think we should team up for the outback version on "My Kitchen Rules"!


I saw my first brushtail possum that night hanging around in the bushes next to our campsite along the river. Way cool! Maddi lured him in closer with a few crusts of bread but did I think to grab the camera for a nature photo....No! They were so cute and looked just like the picture above. Sweet!

Benjo tends to the bacon and breakfast sausages over the new "camp oven mate" while Ness & Ad make toast and prepare the tomatoes for grilling. I really don't go much on the grilled tomatoes for breakfast, but I guess it no different than pouring ketchup all over your scrambles eggs or maybe it it's just because I'm not a real Aussie, yet.


All in all it was a great little getaway. The general consensus of the group was that the location was probably worth a return trip someday but we still have many more places yet to explore and experience.

Homeward bound - happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment